[Fwd: An interest set of doings

Mancuso, James C. (mancusoj@capital.net)
Mon, 09 Feb 1998 17:31:43 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------5BCD42C4EECE71AD2B301C0F
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="------------E55A289480794081D984D74E"

--------------E55A289480794081D984D74E
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hi:
The material below made it way to my e-mail box. For a number of
reasons, I found the contents to be very amusing -- and I do mean,
amusing. Would Michael Jordon allow me to play basketball with me,
acting as if he regards me as a colleague? Would Luciano Pavarotti sing
a duet with me taking the baritone part? Would Umberto Eco allow me to
coauthor his next novel?

By the way, if you want to look at the electronic journal, you need
to type this address into your browser [the address in the message is
given incorrectly]:
http://www.apa.org/journals

Have fun:
Jim
Mancuso

--
James C. Mancuso        Dept. of Psychology
15 Oakwood Place        University at Albany
Delmar, NY 12054        1400 Washington Ave.
Tel: (518)439-4416      Albany, NY 12222
        Mailto:mancusoj@capital.net
  http://www.crisny.org/not-for-profit/soi
A website related to Italian-American Affairs

--------------E55A289480794081D984D74E Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hi:
    The material below made it way to my e-mail box.  For a number of reasons, I found the contents to be very amusing -- and I do mean, amusing.  Would Michael Jordon allow me to play basketball with me, acting as if he regards me as a colleague?  Would Luciano Pavarotti sing a duet with me taking the baritone part?  Would Umberto Eco allow me to coauthor his next novel?

By the way, if you want to look at the electronic journal, you need to type this address into your browser [the address in the message is given incorrectly]:
                              http://www.apa.org/journals

Have fun:
                                                                Jim Mancuso
--
James C. Mancuso        Dept. of Psychology
15 Oakwood Place        University at Albany
Delmar, NY 12054        1400 Washington Ave.
Tel: (518)439-4416      Albany, NY 12222
        Mailto:mancusoj@capital.net
  http://www.crisny.org/not-for-profit/soi
A website related to Italian-American Affairs
  --------------E55A289480794081D984D74E-- --------------5BCD42C4EECE71AD2B301C0F Content-Type: message/rfc822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline Return-Path: Received: from sigma.capital.net (root@sigma2.capital.net [10.100.100.22]) by Delta.capital.net (8.8.7/8.8.7) with ESMTP id NAA20710 for ; Sun, 8 Feb 1998 13:37:01 -0500 (EST) Received: from scls1.suffolk.lib.ny.us (scls1.suffolk.lib.ny.us [199.173.91.10]) by sigma.capital.net (8.8.7/8.8.7) with ESMTP id NAA26987 for ; Sun, 8 Feb 1998 13:36:59 -0500 (EST) Received: from David.suffolk.lib.ny.us (a7p6.suffolk.lib.ny.us [199.173.92.151]) by scls1.suffolk.lib.ny.us (8.8.5/8.6.6) with SMTP id NAA08393 for ; Sun, 8 Feb 1998 13:36:08 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 13:39:56 -0500 From: David Herman Reply-To: daherman@suffolk.lib.ny.us X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.01Gold (Win95; U) MIME-Version: 1.0 To: mancusoj@capital.net Subject: [Fwd: slightly updated final draft] Content-Type: message/rfc822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline Return-Path: seligman@cattell.psych.upenn.edu Received: from cattell.psych.upenn.edu (seligman@CATTELL.PSYCH.UPENN.EDU [130.91.68.122]) by scls1.suffolk.lib.ny.us (8.8.5/8.6.6) with ESMTP id KAA29091 for ; Sun, 8 Feb 1998 10:34:08 -0500 (EST) Received: (from seligman@localhost) by cattell.psych.upenn.edu (8.7.5/SAS 8.03) id KAA28546 for daherman@suffolk.lib.ny.us; Sun, 8 Feb 1998 10:34:54 -0500 (EST) From: seligman@cattell.psych.upenn.edu (Martin E. P. Seligman) Posted-Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 10:34:54 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: Subject: slightly updated final draft To: daherman@suffolk.lib.ny.us Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 10:34:54 -0500 (EST) X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL23-upenn2.9] MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Tell me if you think Tom is still appropriate? You might ask him directly. marty > > Treatment and Prevention > > Martin E.P. Seligman > > Donald Klein, M.D., and I had a dream. It started as a public > argument between us on the internet about whether drugs or psychotherapy > was the treatment of choice for panic disorder. Out of this argument > arose our dream: that the American Psychological Association and the > American Psychiatric Association would collaborate on a electronic > journal that would become the medium of such dialogue between > psychiatrists and psychologists. After two years of work--both political > and intellectual--this became a reality, and the stegosaur and the > tyrannosaur agreed to mate. Both organizations formally agreed to > co-publish an electronic journal. The journal would publish breakthrough > articles in psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy along with peer commentary. > We published our first article and commentary in September 1997. You can > read it on the web at http:\\www.journals.apa.org > (RHEA: please fact check address) > > The dream is ended. In December 1997 the American Psychiatric > Association's Board of Trustees, acting in a closed-door meeting, > withdrew from the collaboration. They cited the need for a "broad review > of the costs and benefits of electronic publishing projects." This, of > course, was not the whole story. > > In August I began getting messages from their leadership that > their board, led by the California trustees, might end their > participation. In September, they put their co-operation on hold, citing > the "state of the relationship between the two associations." I was > informed that the American Psychological Association's policy of seeking > prescription privileges for psychologists was the central problem. What > publishing this scholarly journal had to do with that issue was not > clear, but we crafted a disclaimer that reading TREATMENT did not qualify > one to prescribe. It was clear, however, that their final decision to end > the collaboration was political. Many of their trustees were worried that > any collaboration with the American Psychological Association would > legitimize the efforts of psychologists to obtain prescription privileges. > > The American Psychiatric Association's decision to end their > participation in the journal TREATMENT is shameful. Collaboration among > scientists, the rapid dissemination of knowledge of immediate benefit to > patients, and the open exchange of ideas among scientists and > practitioners--be they psychiatrists or psychologists--are high ideals. > This is how progress in the treatment of mental illness can best occur. > These ideals should not be sacrificed to political ambition or to > squabbles between guilds about the scope of practice. The act of their > Trustees nullifies two years of dedicated work by the authors, publishing > boards, and editors from both organizations. It is a giant step backwards > from the improving relationship between the two largest mental health > associations in America crafted under the leadership of Dorothy Cantor, > Psy.D., and Harold Eist, M.D. > > TREATMENT will continue. If our Publications and Communication Board > approves, it will become the flagship electronic journal of the American > Psychological Association. Its new title will be TREATMENT AND > PREVENTION. It will continue to publish breakthrough articles in the > areas of psychotherapy and medications. It will publish articles about > prevention and about personality, is as far as these are relevant to > treatment. It will underscore the theme that interventions not only > repair damage, but also build human strength. It will fill the gap > created for clinical science by the narrow coverage of, Science, Nature, > and The New England Journal of Medicine. It will also publish, with peer > commentary, an electronic reprint of "The Article of the Week," selected > by all APA editors, as the current article to be brought to the attention > of the membership and the media. TREATMENT AND PREVENTION will be free to > all members of the American Psychological Association, and you can > subscribe at http:\\ www.journals.apa.org. > (RHEA: Please fact check) > > What of the future relations between the two organizations? I believe > that while the actions of the American Psychiatric Association regarding > TREATMENT are (I can find no gentler word) dishonorable, there are many > issues on which we remain on the same sides of the barricades. Managed > care, funding for science, and patient welfare are three examples. We > must stand ready to be allies over these issues, and we must continue to > hope that the American Psychiatric Association will, in future, come once > again to stand with us for the open exchange of ideas in the promotion of > science and patient welfare. > --------------5BCD42C4EECE71AD2B301C0F-- %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%