re: Help-Transaction analysis

anima@devi.demon.co.uk
Mon, 5 Feb 1996 21:00:55 +0000

Steve Armstrong writes:

>I am doing some research into the effects of different people types on small
>group dynamics, particularly in a task oriented setting (small group meaning
>2-10). In the search for an appropriate observational methodology I have
>come across the term transaction analysis pioneered by Bales (1950). Can
>anyone give me a more recent reference which will help me to understand and
>apply such a methodology.

Er. There may be a little confusion over references here. As I understand
it, the Bales (1950) item is surely a reference to _Interaction Process
Analysis_, a 12-category system for classifying utterances made in a group
problem-solving setting. _Transaction Analysis_ refers to the work of Eric
Berne and related popularisers-to-management-researchers of the Freudian
Id-Ego-Superego taxonomy.

Steve: You could find a brief description of Bales' categories in just
about any Social Psychology textbook of the 1960s or 70s. As for Berne,
"Games People Play" is his most pertinent (and, alright I have to admit
it!) most entertaining reference.

Kindest regards,

Devi Jankowicz.