Re: APA exchange and romanticism

Tim A. Connor (connort@pacificu.edu)
Sun, 11 Feb 1996 22:15:22 -0800 (PST)

>From THE CONCISE COLUMBIA ENCYCLOPEDIA:

"The romantics are associated with belief in a return to nature and in
the innate goodness of man...; admiration for the heroic and for the
individuality and imagination of the artist; exaltation of the senses and
emotions over reason and intellect; and interest in the medieval, exotic,
primitive, and nationalistic."

That covers a lot of territory; the contrast pole is usually taken to be
classicism: "clearness, elegance, symmetry, and repose produced by
adherence to traditional forms; absence of emotionalism, subjectivity,
and excess enthusiasm."

Rue has detected a distinction I'm not sure I intended, nor am I clear
what he means by it, so I'll leave it alone for now. PCP does partake of
the romantic idea of the individual's subjectivity as the source of
meaning, making it romantic with respect to behaviorism; on the other
hand, I find a clarity and precision in Kelly's thought that is, if not
classical, at least postromantic--in contrast to, say,
existential-humanistic psychologies (if Rogers is Brahms, Kelly is
Debussy--stop me before I take this metaphor any further).

The difficulty with treating PCP and social constructionism as different
levels of description, having different ranges of convenience (the social
and psychological respectively, as Devi suggested) is that there are
social constructionist psychotherapies. Not to mention MIchael White's
constitutionalism, de Shazer's postmodern constructivism, and whatever
other pre- and suffixes can be attached to "construct." I do agree that
constructive alternativism is our best shot at a comprehensive
understanding of individual and social processes, but I also think that
social constructionism can illuminate PCP (I can live with double vision).
The danger of romanticism is that it might lead us to construct a rigid,
preemptive individualism (The prototype of the romantic scientist
is Dr. Frankenstein--another metaphor to drop quickly).

Regards,

Tim