Re: The scientific status of PCP

Gary Blanchard (garyb@pics.com)
Thu, 13 Jun 1996 16:33:32 -0700

Dear Brian-
Thanks for your latest note.
Honestly, I was considering declaring surrender and ending the
conversation, for in my view I am getting nowherre in my talk with you or
some others on the list. And that's okay. We're all entitled to our
opinion.

But then a thought occurred to me (I don't give up easily!). Just as an
experiment, would you be willing to re-read your latest note to me and
see how many times you, identified as you, the author, explicitly show up
in your remarks? I thibnk you'll find the answer is: none.

Instead, you speak as if you live on Mt. Olympus, and what you say is
self-evident, in my assessment. And what it leads to, in my opinion, is
a lot of inconclusive bullshit and an unresolved question: Can Prof.
Kelly's claims be empirically proved or not?

Now, please accept that I mean no disrespect here. I simply want to call
attention to the way of being, in language, that most of us in the West
at least have fallen into, and therefore about which we now are unaware.
So we go on, speaking rapidly in presuppositions and metaphors, with
little concern if we are understood by the person to whom we are
speaking, but looking very, very good according to the reigning social
standards of the day.

This, I submit, is THE dominant ontology of language in which we all are
immersed. And from these conversations with you and others, I now begin
to formulate a new definition of 'constructivist.' Namely: One who
possesses, and expresses, the capacity to observe him/herself speaking
(or write), and who takes explicit responsibility for what he/she says,
aware if the speaking is of a factual or of an opinion nature, providing
evidence if it is claimed to be factual and accepting that it is only
their opinion if it is an opinion.

To paraphrase the late, great Marshall McLuhan: The medium is the
message. And the medium, for us humans, is language. So the message is,
let's start speaking more awaredly, respectfully, and clearly.

What do you --- all --- think? Sincerely, Gary