Re: core constructs

Jones, John WEN (JonesJ@ur.sdstate.edu)
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 9:37

----------
From: Gary F. Blanchard, MPA
To: pcp
Subject: Re: core constructs
Date: Wednesday, December 18, 1996 9:34PM

Dear Gary,

The term 'construct' has a diverse history, but as Kelly formulated it,
construct refers to an individual's distinctions that she or he imposes on
experience. For example, I may construe two people as being similar: my dad
and uncle (dad's oldest brother) are 'workaholics and over-achievers', which
I would term as proactive people; whereas, their youngest brother appears to
me to be 'passive' and allows things to happen to him. Consequently, one
construct I hold is 'proactive-passive'. That is one construct I use to
impose some kind of organization on my life's experience so as to anticipate
experience and choose options for action. Obviously there are many
constructs that have different relationships. Beverly's message is
excellent input on superordinate and core constructs as well as Devi's. I
hope this helps.

Vic Jones

--
------------------------- Original message header: